Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Call me Sidney f-ing Bristow

So last week we added another four-legged critter to our menagerie, albeit temporarily. We dog-sat B's family pooch, Bailey the 90+ pound Yellow Lab. The dog doesn't have a mean bone in his body, but he is the most stubborn creature on the planet, and his training is somewhat limited despite his intelligence. But he and the Jakester get along wonderfully, so he stayed at our place for a week while the in-law's were on vacation.

So mom-in-law dropped off Bailey Beans on the Thursday before their trip, but she failed to give us any details about when they would be home and what we would need to do at that point (if she was picking him up or if we were dropping him off, what day, what time, etc).

First, that same weekend B & I had a wedding reception to attend outside Cleve-hole, and since that is the general area that the in-law's live, we decided the best course of action was to drop off both pooches at their house to chill while we were out, and then B & I would probably stay the night there in the guest apartment and make the 2-hour drive back home the next morning. Good plan, right? That is, until we realized 1 hour and 45 minutes into the drive to Cleve-hole that we had forgotten the keys to their house. B is somewhat skilled at the art of b&e however, so we weren't all that worried about it. (And no, my husband is not a felon... he was bored during the year spent in the Sandbox and taught himself how to pick locks so he could fuck with his buddies by leaving bottles of KY Warming Sensation in their footlockers.) ('Cuz we all know that it's a BIG hit with our troops.)

So upon arrival I manned the dogs while he found a way in... (details not included... you can never be too careful). Dogs ensconced, we headed to the reception and the rest of the weekend was fine.

So the following Thursday we gave the mom-in-law a call and got the scoop... they were returning Saturday, could we bring him home please. No prob! B would be out of town but I could take care of it. That is, until 1 hour 45 minutes into the drive when I realized, FUCK! I'd forgotten the damn key again. One call to B for instructions, an hour of sweat and swearing later, and I'm in. I felt so fucking empowered, it was amazing!

Oh, but it doesn't end here. Ooooh no.

I headed back to Toledo early that same afternoon, leaving Bailey on his own until the folks arrived home around 5 that evening. Not a big deal, just a few hours, right? I got home, worked in the garden, ate some dinner, read a book... then checked the clock and realized, it's 8:30 pm and they haven't called yet. So I called their house, no answer. So I called their cell.

"Hi Mom! How was your trip?"

"Oh it's so beautiful! Next year we'll all have to come up here together."

"That would be great! So you made it home okay?"

"Oh no, we're still in Boston. Our flight isn't until tomorrow you know."

"....really."

"Is everything okay?"

"Um, no... B said you had told him your flight was today."

"Oh no, tomorrow." (not realizing the impact of this yet.)

"I took Bailey home this morning."

"Oh. OH. Oh dear! I'm so sorry!"

So I loaded Jake into the car and drove the 2 hours back to Cleveland, let Bailey out for the longest pee ever, gave him his dinner about 6 hours late, and drove home again the following morning.

At least that time I remembered the key!

I was really hoping to NOT go to Cleveland again anytime soon, but we're on our way there again tonight for a concert... but at least this time there are no dogs involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment