Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Are you going to GLUE my life back together or something?

I finally grew a pair and went to a therapist today.  It's been a long time coming, and really I should have done it a long time ago!  But I'm stubborn and a bit of a control freak (shut up!) and have always been one to manage my issues myself.  I ask for help when it comes to moving something heavy or using power tools, but when it comes to my personal life... well, that's why it's personal.  But I've realized that I'm changing... and I don't necessarily like who I'm changing into.  So I'm hoping to nip that in the bud and get back to who I really am.  

But right now I'm not going to go into any detail about all of that - my point in this post is that I'm not too sure about this particular therapist, and I'm hoping to get a little feedback.  She's nice, and I felt okay talking to her, but I also felt mildly uncomfortable.  Not really with her, or her technique, or her personality, but with her office.  It was such a huge mess!  It appears that she works with children, or mothers, as there were toys all over.  I couldn't see the top of her desk at all - papers, books, mugs, drink bottles, dying plants, and just stuff (a random bottle of Elmer's Glue?) covered every horizontal surface.  Her chairs were horribly uncomfortable, and the clock was right above my head with a really loud ticker, and I couldn't find anything to focus my attention on except that stupid bottle of glue, so I kind of felt like I wasn't welcome or something.  In the back of my mind I was thinking, and she's going to help me get my shit together?  Looks like she could use some help herself!  Which is kind of mean I guess, but seriously, the state of her office kind of made me wonder about her professional abilities.

But since this was my first time ever visiting a counselor or therapist, I'm wondering if this is maybe par for the course?  Are the tidy, comfortable, zen-like therapist's offices only on TV?  Or should I be looking for someone new, with some level of organizational skills?  I know I should keep looking if I truly feel uncomfortable, but do I?  Or am I just being nitpicky and anal?  (Har har.  Shut up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment