Thursday, October 2, 2008

How WEIRD. And no, I'm not a stalker.

I've mentioned before that my favorite online writer is Linda at All & Sundry. She never fails to either inspire me, or make me laugh so hard that I snort. So in the spirit of "looking busy on the computer at work" I like to read her archives, for entertainment purposes, but also to see how she dealt with certain things that happened before I started reading her that I might be able to pull advice from. I stumbled on this entry today, and yes it's dated correctly! (I like to start a story at the beginning, okay?) But what struck me the most, is how she was able to articulate so many things that I'm the same way about, but I probably wouldn't have thought to write them down. So here's my version of "100 Ubiquitous Things About Me", and yeah there are a few that I didn't change from Sundry's version. (PS: I hate how Blogger doesn't keep the list formatting!)
The ubiquitous "100 things" entry!
1. I have 1 half-sister and 3 half-brothers, and all of them are much older than me.
2. Therefore, it makes sense that my mom has been mistaken for my grandmother many times. But I think she's incredibly beautiful (for an old biddie!)
3. I don't have a favorite color, but I tend to wear more blue & green.
4. I'm not afraid of snakes or spiders, but moths freak me the hell out.
5. I didn't break 100 pounds until my freshman year of college.
6. Someday I want to own a gift shop in the touristy section of a coastal town, and sell things that I made, photos I've taken, artwork I've framed.
7. I obsessively watch Dirty Dancing and Top Gun when I was a kid, but didn't "get it" until I watched them again in college.
8. I hate drinking alcohol at home. I might finish half a beer, but I only really like hot apple cider & rum when I'm at home.
9. The only organized sport I've ever tried was basketball, and I quit after a week & started keeping stats for the team instead.
10. I have a piss-poor memory, which I think must be genetic.
11. The only grandparent I remember is my father's mother. The rest died either when I was a baby or before I was born.
12. I don't know how to drive a stick.
13. I used to love archery, and I would still like to own a compound bow, but I don't know if I could hunt with it.
14. I took a gymnastics class in middle school.
15. I can't sing, but I have a good ear for tone & pitch and can help B tune his guitar by ear.
16. I don't believe that a campground with paved roads and electricity is really camping.
17. I'm more of a cat person than a dog person.
18. I didn't know the difference between a Republican and a Democrat until the last election.
19. My hands are always cold.
20. I spent a month in Hawaii while I was in college, but would never want to live there.
21. I am apt to well up with tears over the most embarrassing things, like Gary Sinise doing the voiceover for Army commercials.
22. Until a year ago, I hadn't thrown up since I was 12. Now, any licorice flavored alcohol is bad news.
23. I pick my nose sometimes, and so do you! You do too!
24. I don't like flying, and can't sleep on a plane.
25. I'm an insomniac. It usually takes me at least an hour, sometimes more, to fall asleep at night.
26. I never really cooked until this past year, and I'm discovering that I kind of like it.
27. I'm a sucker for an accent of any kind.
28. I've thrown my back out while scrubbing the bathtub.
29. When I walk up stairs barefoot, my left foot stays flat but I always walk on my toes with my right foot.
30.I carry my stress in my shoulders and neck, and no amount of Tiger Balm or massage will help it.
31. I hate folding laundry.
32. I daydream all the time, but have learned to multi-task.
33. I hate having my feet touched, unless B is giving me a serious foot rub with no tickling involved, with my socks on.
34. The dentist totally doesn't bother me.
35. I really enjoy sci-fi and fantasy type books & TV shows.
36. The only kind of music that I really hate is gangsta rap.
37. I hate driving in strange cities, especially in congested areas.
38. I would eat some form of potato with every meal if I could.
39. I love to decorate.
40. I absolutely cannot justify spending large amounts of money on clothing, but would gladly spend hundreds on artwork.
41. I'm a pretty courteous driver, unless you're an asshole.
42. My parents owned their own business.
43. I had my own computer when I was a kid, one of the first "portable computers" that was the size of a suitcase with a handle on one end. I liked playing "Baghdad" and Pacman.
44. I played the xylaphone/marimba in high school, and the marching rig for it weighed more than I did.
45. I hate having my picture taken.
46. I used to collect keychains.
47. I have never used a push-lawnmower. Riding, yes. Push, no.
48. I have phobias about electricity, firecrackers, and storms.
49. I still remember a dream that I had when I was little about my mom turning into a vampire.
50. My dad surprised my mom with a '67 Mustang when they were first married. She still has it.
51. I was in "advanced classes" all through school, until college when I stopped trying to do well.
52. I hate when people drink out of milk jugs. The goop that collects around the mouth of the jug just grosses me out.
53. I never wear lip color. My lips are naturally bright.
54. I hate extremely hot weather and high humidity.
55. I love carousels, and have two porcelain musicbox horses.
56. I have never ridden a rollercoaster, and never will.
57. I have never taken any illegal drugs.
58. In regards to 57, I was a DARE Role Model in high school and damn proud of it!
59. I would love to take horseback riding lessons.
60. I don't know my bloodtype.
61. I used to like going to my best friends house just so we could play with her little brother's toys.
62. I have never watched a porno.
63. When my blood pressure goes up, all the veins in my forehead stick out. My friends in high school called me a klingon.
64. When out with a group of people, I usually prefer to quietly observe rather than be a part of the happenings.
65. I hate to be told what to do.
66. I went through a phase in college where I put sour cream on pretty much everything.
67. My favorite job was at Barnes & Noble, and I would totally work there again.
68. My high school only had about 700 students, and my college only had about 2000.
69. I almost always show up at appointments way too early.
70. I have a funny dimple birthmark on my belly, right next to my bellybutton.
71. I'm kind of a picky eater.
72. I don't really like going to concerts because I feel the crowd often detracts from the music.
73. I take things very personally and I'm easily wounded.
74. I have a hard time getting comfortable in bed. I almost always wake up in the middle of the night with one of my arms all tingly.
75. My 17th birthday was, in retrospect, the worst birthday ever.
76. I coughed so hard when I was sick in college that I cracked a rib.
77. I lost a spelling bee in middle school on the word "wrought."
78. My face turns bright red & tingles when I get nervous or embarrassed.
79. I was on the flag team in middle school.
80. I taught myself how to drive because my mother was terrified of riding with me.
81. I developed an allergy to wool after working in a store that sold wool rugs.
82. I took ballroom dancing to cover my P.E. requirements in college.
83. Every time I get a fever, I hallucinate that the walls are closing in on me.
84. The only type of facial cleansing product I use is makeup remover wipes and sometimes witch hazel.
85. I've never been in the hospital.
86. I would love to run an animal rescue.
87. I love folk music, thanks to my dad. He used to sing to me in the car.
88. I hate talking on the phone. I tend to use email or text more often.
89. Tailgaters piss me off more than anything.
90. It seems to me that I am always the person to move aside, on sidewalks etc, instead of someone else getting out of my way.
91. I always get flustered when someone holds the door for me.
92. I have an oral fixation. I'm either biting my nails or chewing my pens all the time.
93. I like watching dog shows, and as a result I can identify almost any breed.
94. I probably cuss too goddamn much.
95. I've wanted a horse since I was a child, and I would still love to have one.
96. I can only crack the knuckles on my ring fingers.
97. I can't go underwater without holding my nose.
98. I'm a beer snob.
99. Even in the worst level of drunkeness ever, I would never do karaoke. But I will laugh at you when you do.
100. I'm a master at procrastination, but when it's actually something important I'll do it right away.

2 comments:

  1. I think you did great at this! A few comments:

    #20 I'm curious now as to why you wouldn't want to live there.

    #2. Me too! Adam actually does a passable Australian, but it sounds too much like Steve Irwin, and he feels all sorts of wrong using it now.

    #29. You know I had to stop and actually step this out, right? I wonder how many other people did that when they read it.

    #30 Adam is like this...if I keep going the way I'm going, I'm probably going to be this way too

    #35 & #36 You're like my Ohio twin, aren't you?

    #52 Oh, yay, something else for me to think about when it comes to weird food and drink issues. *shudder* :)

    #57 & #58 We must've been the only two girls in high school who weren't doing drugs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Hawaii, but it's really crowded, especially on Oahu. Plus, it's expensive as hell, so here's all these tourists paying hundreds of dollars a night for a swanky hotel, and the locals are living in tiny little houses and are paying around $5 for a gallon of milk... it feels oppressive, I guess.
    And as for the rest, yeah I'm a little weird. ;-) Aren't we all though? Everyone talks about being 'normal' but I honestly don't think there is any such thing!

    ReplyDelete