Friday, July 4, 2008

It's a day off...

Yes, today is a national holiday celebrating freedom and liberty and all that. And yes, freedom isn't free, land of the free because of the brave, I totally agree with all of that (I think I have a pretty good perspective of it, considering). But I can't say that I am a fan of the method of celebrating. In other words, I hate fireworks. I have a fear of uncontrollable, unpredictable things like electricity (fuseboxes, bare wires, stuff like that), out-of-control fires, and things that explode. I don't think it's irrational at all, and I don't have panic attacks or anything, I just get rather uncomfortable when exposed to these types of things at close range. I'll ooooh and aaaah with the best of 'em at a fancy fireworks show from several blocks away, but when it's right outside my door I get a bit edgy. So I'm glad that the hoodlums down the street have apparently gone somewhere else for the holiday... but unfortunately our drunk old-fart neighbors behind us are havin' a good ol' time with their Natty Lights & mortars! Greg's already missing a couple of fingers for pete's sake, you'd think he'd be more concerned about the ones he has left! Jake, the cats and I are taking cover in the house.

Otherwise it's been a good day off. I puttered in the gardens a bit, killed the hotter part of the day by re-vamping my myspace page, bought a sewing machine (go ahead, you can call me Susie Homemaker now, I don't mind! But for your information I'm making cornhole bags with it out of old Army pants!), finished a book, and helped B burn all our firewood so we can clean out & paint the fire bowl.

Tomorrow we're going to a movie, and sometime this weekend we'll finish stripping the nasty green wallpaper out of my craft room and maybe even get a coat of primer up.

No comments:

Post a Comment