Thursday, September 18, 2008

Inspirations

I've mentioned these two writers before, but I need to mention them again today because they've both just written blog entries that were really touching to me.

On All & Sundry, Linda wrote this yesterday. Several of the things on her list totally hit home for me, especially because (a) I'm horribly impatient and (b) I'm a horrible procrastinator. So to get smacked in the face with "Transforming your body and mind takes time. If you try to rush the process, you’re doing it wrong." and "There is no such thing as not having enough time to exercise. If you can’t find the time, MAKE the time. This is entirely within your control, and telling yourself otherwise is simply an excuse. " ... Pretty much exactly what I need to hear (and be told over and over and over).
I have a gym membership. Do I use it? Not so much. I've convinced myself that every time I go to the gym, I get sick afterwards. And it's partly true. Last winter when I started my trial membership, I went two or three times before I got nailed by the flu. I lost my motivation and didn't go back, and my trial membership expired. This summer, I took advantage of a special they were having and signed a 2 year contract. I went to a spinning class and it totally killed me deader than a doornail. I went once after that & wound up with a summer cold for 2 weeks after that... so my excuse is somewhat viable. Still lame though, and now I'm stuck in a contract that I can't cancel and can't find anyone to transfer it to. So I've got to use it, or feel guilty for two years. And if I lose my extra chins and my muffin top while I'm at it, all the better!

Amy, aka Amalah, wrote this today at AlphaMom/Advice Smackdown. Now, I'm a Republican. Just a bit right of center, really. But I am pro-life, and have been for a long time. I was a bit of a Bible-thumper when I was in high school, and one thing that has remained of that is the belief that a child's soul is imparted at conception, and therefore abortion = infanticide regardless of how you look at it, and abortion = cop-out for irresponsible people who either are plain stupid or who just don't think about the consequences of their actions.
I still believe both of these are true, however Amy's writing today was so well-thought-out, kind, and touching that my concrete stance is crumbling a bit. I guess I never thought about the people who actually wanted a child, but for one reason or another could not actually have a child. There is a difference between those who fucked up and don't want a child for stupid selfish reasons, and those who are at odds between preserving themselves and protecting the child. How anyone could possibly make that kind of choice is beyond me, but at the same time there is no wrong choice in situations like those. I just hope and pray I never have to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment