I'm not sure I understand why Dr. Tiller is being so deified and honored in his death. Yes, it is horrible that he was murdered, and even more so that it was in church in front of his wife. That itself is terrible. But I keep reading these articles, blogs, and Tweets that he was a "shining star," a "crusader for women's rights", and on and on.
Wait a minute. He performed late-term abortions, correct? At that point in development, a fetus can't be passed off as an "inhuman blob of protoplasm" anymore. There's so much web traffic out there right now, but I also read on Bill O'Reilly's website that Dr. Tiller also performed abortions on 10-15 year old girls, cases of rape and incest, and did not notify the police. His reason for performing late-term abortions? The women were "depressed." NO SHIT. How is that worth honoring?
I'm pro-life, to an extent. I do believe that people, mothers and fathers alike, should be held responsible for their choice to have unprotected sex. Cases of rape or incest, whether in minors or adults, or severe illness that threatens the life of both mother and child, are the only instances where abortion should be condoned in my opinion. It's not a matter of "women's rights" to me. What about the child's rights? Because they have no voice, they don't count? The child has to give up its right to having a potentially wonderful life simply because "it's not the right time for me to have children" or whatever the reason is? If a woman is not fit to be a mother, there are countless other women out there who are, that maybe can't have children of their own, or that are willing and able to adopt by choice. Just because someone was irresponsible and had unprotected sex shouldn't make abortion the go-to answer.
But that's not the point here. I don't think murdering Dr. Tiller was right by any means. But I don't think it's right to call him a saint either.
No comments:
Post a Comment