Thursday, October 22, 2009

For all you dog-nerds out there

I admit that I'm more of a cat person than a dog person, but I still love dogs.  I'd love to work with a therapy dog, or maybe even search & rescue, but ultimately my goal is to one day have enough property and a barn to turn into a sanctuary for pets that might not otherwise be adopted - long-time residents at the Humane Society, special needs, or senior pets.  It'd be fun, for one thing, to have a herd of dogs running around like crazies, but it'd feel good too, to know that I was able to provide a happy home for them.

Along these lines, I LOVE watching dog shows on TV.  I would never buy a purebred dog - I just can't justify spending the money when so many adoptable dogs are out there - but I'm not opposed to responsible breeding.  I like watching the shows to familiarize myself with the breeds, to be able to recognize them when I see them in the world.  It's like how some people can recognize what year/make/model a car is, purely trivia, but also fun to be able to ID mutts too.

Anywhoo.  Long rambling intro to this meme I found at save the pitbull, save the world.

IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE A DOG FROM EACH CKC/AKC “GROUP,” WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE AND WHY?
(excluding your own breeds)

Group 1- Sporting:  Chesapeake Bay Retriever.  My nephew has one that, while I haven't met him, has been extolled as the GREATEST dog by my mom.  And that's a big compliment from my mom!  They don't strike me as being as hyper-dumb-overbred as some of the others either, but I'm no expert.
Group 2- Hound: Irish Wolfhound.  They're just so regal.
Group 3- Working:  A Swissie.  Man, I'd put that dog to WORK in the garden, hauling a cart around for me.  That, and they just have beautiful, mushy faces.  MUSH.
Group 4- Terriers:  This is tough - I hate to admit it but I love terriers.  I think I'd have to say the Norfolk Terrier appeals the most.  Any of them would keep mice out of a barn quite nicely though.
Group 5- Toys:  Havanese.  Totally my 'old lady' dog.
Group 6- Non Sporting:  Shiba Inu.  They can be feisty, but make for a good little guard dog.
Group 7- Herding:  This is also a hard one, because I love having a super-smart dog.  I think I'll say the Belgian Tervuren piques my interest the most though.

What about you, fellow dog-nuts?  (Wait, that doesn't sound right...)  Neuter and spay, everyone!  :-)

[caption id="attachment_292" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The Jake-ster, our English Foxhound/Lab mix"]The Jake-ster, our English Foxhound/Lab mix[/caption]

2 comments:

  1. Brutus has a mushy face! He is so spoiled now that he doesn't know how to interact with other dogs, but half the time he doesn't want to anyway, just people.

    I really want a Weimaraner! I love the way they look.

    Shiba Inu's are cute but they can be very protective, heard you can't really have other animals when you have one, kinda like Akitas.

    Basset Hounds are cool too. Brian and I spotted one just trotting down a country road in Alliance once. We stopped and I walked the dog up to the nearest house, even though I was only with him for about 5 minutes, I could tell he had one of the goofiest personalities ever. He seemed great, however, he was not neutered and hanging low!

    However, we are lazy and due to the fact you can barely exercise bulldogs, the breed is great for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to answer this when I get home! Time to leave work, but I LOVE this post. I always love picking my faves out of the groups during dog shows on TV. :)

    ReplyDelete