I've got to start keeping a notebook beside my bed. Last night I basically wrote an entire post in my head, and do you think I wrote it down or made any note of it at all so I could remember it today? NO. Because I'm SMART like that.
I know that it was about writing though, so I guess I'm already off on the right foot.
Several people I read are doing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) (as opposed to NaBloPoMo which is what I'm doing), and I thought about doing that for, oh, two seconds, before nixing it. I realized last night that I haven't done any truly creative writing since I'm not sure when. I do remember writing a poem for an assignment in 6th grade, about my old grey & white cat. My mother and sister RAVED about it and still bug me to write poetry to this day because of it. I just remember being mad that my teacher read it out loud in class but didn't get the rhythm of it right - but of course I was too chicken to read it out loud myself so it's my own fault.
I remember writing short stories in grade school (4th grade maybe?) for a collection that our teacher "published" at Kinko's and gave to all of our parents. I totally don't remember what I wrote but I think it was something about a horse. Which isn't surprising; I was a bit of a horse nut when I was a kid. But through high school and college, I remember writing a LOT of reports, and LOT of research papers, and a LOT of articles for journalism classes, but nothing really creative.
Some might argue that my blog could be considered creative, but it's not - it's not a product of my imagination, it's a product of my life and mind - a journal, not a story. It's not always entertaining, and I don't necessarily mean it to be. It's simply an outlet, and what goes on in my head isn't always funny or enlightening or meaningful for other people. But then I also don't reveal everything that's going on in this particular space, since I link to it from Facebook and my mother and other family members read it, so that itself may be limiting it's entertainment value. But I'm not that brave yet.
But back to my point: ultimately, no. I'm not a creative writer. Could I be? Maybe. I haven't tried. Do I want to? Maybe. It's not something I've thought about, it's not on my Bucket List or even my weekend To-Do. Will I give it a shot?
......
No comments:
Post a Comment