I was inspired by Lucy March's post to compose a list of things that make me happy. I've been working on it for the past few days, adding a little at a time. Have you ever noticed it's harder to think of good things in your life than it is to think of all the things that are wrong with it? I'm totally stuck in that rut... have been for ages. Although I'll admit that this time at home has given me a different perspective, and I'm learning to appreciate the things I enjoy.
2) Sunshine as my alarm clock. It's helluva lot better than a screeching buzzer.
3) iTunes. I can create a soundtrack for whatever it is I'm doing, which makes even the mundane things a bit more enjoyable.
4) My Macbook. Using a computer used to be a pain in the ass, but now it's actually FUN again.
5) The little happy-dance that Jake does whenever we come home.
6) Cute socks. I can appear all professional on the outside, but my socks reflect what I really feel.
7) Books. If I had a million dollars, I could very easily spend it all on books. And no, I have no interest in a Kindle.
8) Making things, from a massive quilt to something as simple as decorating an old jelly jar to hold safety pins. I go through "crafty cycles" - one month it's making jewelry, the next it's sewing handbags, later it's glass painting. I always have something I'm making.
9) Cooking. I never thought I'd say it, but cooking makes me happy. Unless I burn it or screw it up somehow... but at least I tried.
10) Getting long emails or letters from friends. I don't like talking on the phone, so getting notes or messages or wall comments or whatever makes me happier than hearing the phone ring.
11) Unique-smelling candles. No plain vanilla for me!
12) Shopping for other people. As much as I like shopping for myself, I love finding something that makes me think of someone else, and then seeing them light up when I give it to them.
13) Being near water. Lake, ocean, river, creek, whatever. I love the sound of it rippling or crashing, and the way light sparkles across its surface.
14) Songs that remind me of my dad. I was listening to my iPod the other night and had just put a new Nickel Creek CD on it, and this song "The Fox" starts up and immediately I recognized it as one my daddy used to sing in the car.
15) Leverage, and Bones. The two shows I actually get excited about watching.
16) Teaching someone something I've learned through my job or my experience. I wouldn't ever want to be an actual teacher, but I like passing on things I've learned myself to my friends and family.
17) Gardening. Being out in the sun, the smell of the dirt, watching something grow, seeing and tasting the results - all very therapeutic and rewarding.
18) Walking in a big city. Weird, because I'll be the first to say that I'm a country girl at heart, but I love walking through a place like Chicago or Boston, being able to take the time to really look at and enjoy the city. I think you feel more of a camaraderie with a place when you can walk in it, rather than just drive through it.
19) French fries. And cupcakes. And Whatchamacallit bars. And a really good burger. And fresh seafood.
21) Lilacs.
22) Flipping through the channels and stumbling upon a great movie I haven't seen in a while.
23) Having people over. We don't do it as often as I'd like, but I enjoy being a hostess.
24) A rocking chair perfectly situated in front of a fireplace or in a sunbeam (or both!).
25) Putting on sweatpants the minute I get home from work. (Of course now, I just wear them all day, but it's not the same.)
26) Playing hooky. When I don't have to do anything or be anywhere, and I can just enjoy the day however I choose. Which, even being laid-off, is still a special occasion.
27) Shopping for fabric for a sewing project or quilt. Every time I go to the fabric store I find something cute or pretty, and wish I had something I could make out of it.
28) A sunny day at a park with my camera.
29) Splurging on something at the grocery store. Today it was Dove hearts with almonds from the Valentine clearance bin, and Fritos.
30) Finding a great blog and reading through the archives.
31) Browsing an arts & crafts show, and finding something truly unique and beautiful that I just have to have.
32) The Menagerie, aka when both cats and the dog are piled on the bed with B and I at night. It's a little crowded, but it's fun anyway.
33) Flannel. Sheets, jammies, shirts, quilts, whatever.
34) Birdwatching. Sounds a bit fuddy-duddy, but growing up in the sticks we had lots of birds that would visit our yard. Here in Toledo, we have sparrows. And pigeons. And starlings. That's about it.
35) The heated seats in my car.
36) Completely oddball, ridiculous humor. Like Robot Chicken.
34) Birdwatching. Sounds a bit fuddy-duddy, but growing up in the sticks we had lots of birds that would visit our yard. Here in Toledo, we have sparrows. And pigeons. And starlings. That's about it.
35) The heated seats in my car.
36) Completely oddball, ridiculous humor. Like Robot Chicken.
37) A glass of cold milk.
39) My cat Lily's noisy, sputtering purr. She sounds like a car with a bad muffler.
40) Clearance sales at my favorite stores, especially when I have a gift card or two.
41) Good coffee. I've gotten spoiled, and I can't drink Maxwell House or Folgers anymore.
42) Also, good beer. I refuse to drink Bud Light or anything like it, if there's something better available.
43) Decorating. We've been lucky to have a landlord that lets us paint and such, but I cannot wait to have our own place to do anything we want.
44) Flip-flops, or better yet, my Croc sandals. (and the appropriate weather of course!)
45) Browsing a thrift store for fun things. I found the perfect pillowcase today to make another one of these (I've already made two), and also spotted a pretty blue & white plate that I kind of wish I would have bought.
46) The nights when B and I look at each other, say "screw it," order a pizza from Papa John's and watch TV all night.
47) My hairdryer/brush combo thingy. It makes covering up my cowlicks so much easier.
48) Having a craft room. One day it'll be a full-blown studio, but for now, a cheerfully messy craft room.
49) Fixing something or figuring something out all by myself.
50) Realizing that there are a lot more happy things in my life than I originally thought.


No comments:
Post a Comment